Do you dial up self care under pressure? Or dial it down.
Today I knew it was a day to dial up self care. Which can be the polar opposite to what we might feel like doing (sugar coma anyone?) So I thought I’d share what’s working for me in case it helps you also.
Here are 11 things I’m embracing today:
- Switch Off: my empathy levels have gone into hyperdrive and it’s time to stop scrolling and consuming.
2. Eat well – I’ve made a batch of spearmint bliss balls (dang, they are delish and full of whole foods). For the majority of the time, I am choosing foods that nourish rather than drain my energy. But I am not doing this in a punitive or absolute way. For example, we’ll get some takeaway tonight or another night to support local business and will thoroughly enjoy it.
3. Drink well: This might not be what you think.. I’m choosing kombucha; mineral water with essential oils, water and well there’s still coffee. No alcohol for me.
4. Grounding in nature – I got back on my bike and rode to the shops with my son yesterday. Then today he asked to show me the route he rides to his new school. He thinks I’m a bit too slow but slow and steady wins the race for me! Walks. Gardening. Anything to literally ground you is a winner.
5. Come back to now through breathing – I have reminders on my watch to stop and breathe for 1 min throughout the day. Or you can use your calendar or phone for reminders. Meditation is another fab way to be present – but forget about trying to clear your mind – just do it how it works best for you and accept any perceived imperfections 🙂
6. Get enough sleep and have something you’re looking forward to in the morning.
7. (Continue to) exercise – can I tell you how much I don’t feel like doing remote workouts?! But I know how good I’ll feel when I get it done. So it could be going on the trampoline (I saw a mum bouncing up and down above the fence line on our ride!); walking; running; cycling; skating; dancing or scooting! I’m going to grab the skateboard and have a go (with full protection on haha).
8. Organise one small area of your home that has been annoying you. For me, it was one part of one shelf in the pantry. Aim too big (you know, like when you thought you were going to ‘Marie Kondo’ your home last lockdown?) and it can become overwhelming.
9. Tunes! I love music – lots of different styles but 80s is probably my fave – much to my kids’ disgust! It makes me feel good and there’s often some silly dancing in the kitchen to top it off (again, cringeworthy for the kids, but I love it when I hear them singing along to the songs!).
10. Podcasts – spend time virtually with someone that is inspiring, elevates your thinking or helps you to look at life from a different angle. I loved listening to Brene Brown’s one with Simon Sinek on her Dare To Lead Spotify podcast recently. It’s about Developing An Infinite Mindset and it’s a really great listen.
11. Talk to yourself with kindness. Because beating yourself up about things will make you feel worse, not better.
I’m sure there are plenty more but hopefully you can choose one or more of these that float your boat if you’d also like to dial UP your self care.
If you’d like to find out more about working together, feel free to get in touch and take advantage of my free Clarity Session.Tags: lockdown3.0 Mindset Coaching mindset tools selfcare tips for success